Eye gestures, real-time perception tracking, appealing design:
The new “VPS 19” smart glasses integrate Mixed Reality (MR) in an intuitive and user-friendly way into the workplace. The very light and portable system uses the human eye as digital interface. The wearer can intuitively interact with the digital content hands-free through eye gestures. The glasses will be presented for the first time at CES 2019 in Las Vegas from 8 to 11 January 2019.
Vienna/Las Vegas, NV – 8 January 2019 – The ability to react intuitively to human behavior is one of the greatest challenges facing Mixed Reality. Mixed reality will only be taken seriously when this is accomplished. The VPS 19 smart glasses use the eyes as a natural human-machine interface – and take the interaction between humans and digital devices to a new level, with features such as eye gestures and real-time perception tracking. For the first time, it is also possible to evaluate immediately the wearer’s subconscious attention and to integrate it into the MR space.
The lightweight VPS 19 consists of Eye Hyper-Tracking glasses and a separate Mixed Reality click-on that includes a waveguide display and is placed in front of the lenses to take advantage of MR features. A pocket-sized intelligent hardware component called the Smart Unit, completes the system. Using eye gestures, the VPS 19 interacts in an intuitive and hands-free way, making it highly practical in any professional application. The implementation of eye gesture tracking and interaction is an industry first. The VPS enables bidirectional communication, where the wearer and an unlimited number of connected offsite users can communicate with each other in the MR environment.
“Tracking human perception through the eyes gives us, for the first-time, access to the subconscious human decision-making process”, Nils Berger, CEO of Viewpointsystem, explains. “In this way, we can also show the wearer MR content that subconsciously attracts his attention or that helps him in a particular situation.”
The most important features of the VPS 19, which received a CES 2019 Innovation Honoree Award in November 2018, are:
- Real-time perception tracking: Thanks to Eye Hyper-Tracking technology, the VPS 19 detects where the wearer is looking and recognizes when an object, or information consciously, or unconsciously, attracts his or her attention. It even notes when the user doesn’t recognize important information in the field of vision. It can guide the user’s gaze – and help to avoid human errors, e.g. in mobility and traffic: If a driver does not perceive important information in his cockpit, the system informs him on the display.
- Eye gesture interaction: The wearer can now communicate with his or her eyes. The unit features: menu items, digital overlays or hand-drawn instructions that can be selected in an intuitive and comfortable way through the movement of the eyes instead of using the hands or voice. The wearer has his or her hands free for work in any situation.
- Information is displayed in the line of sight: While other systems require the wearer to constantly shift the eyes, jumping back and forth between digital information and real life, the VPS 19 displays info in the line of sight where it can easily be processed. This means no distraction and no eye-fatigue. The wearer always keeps focus on the task in front of them.
- Bi-directional communication: The wearer can now connect live with an unlimited number of offsite experts to help him or her during emergencies such as machine-stops, or general machine maintenance. The onsite technician can provide a “We see what you see” view to the computer screens of the remote service experts. During streaming, the experts can not only give verbal repair instructions or other assistance, but also send computer-written information, drawings or sketches, which are displayed either on the MR click-on or on the Smart Unit. The technician receives the info in his natural line of sight, can operate the system through eye gestures, and has his or her hands free to resolve the problem quickly and independently.
- Barcode detection: This unique feature makes barcode scanning processes in logistics and retail faster and much more effective: Using the “Barcode Scan” app, the wearer selects the barcode with his eyes. This feature also works regardless of whether the barcode is further away or at an angle to the wearer. The barcode information is shown on the display. The user confirms the information through eye gestures. The system is also able to scan all barcodes that are in the field of view of the wearer at the same time within seconds. The right barcode is selected automatically and confirmed by the wearer.
The key features of the VPS 19 at a glance:
- Real-time perception tracking is now available for the first time
- Unveil the subconscious attention of the wearer
- Eye Gestures redefine MR: no voice, no hands needed
- Interaction with digital content through the eyes
- Extremely lightweight glasses: Eye Hyper-Tracking glasses (43g) and MR click-on together weigh only 95g,
combine both for a truly immersive MR experience
- Works in nearly all lighting conditions
- 1-to-many bi-directional communication (audio/video/digital content)
- Add drawings, written instructions, information and scribbles as MR overlays while streaming
- Thanks to Eye Hyper-Tracking, information is displayed where it’s not distracting
- Non-stop operation of the system through battery swap while in use, battery runtime of 8 hours plus
- 4G+ onboard for autonomous connectivity
- Linux based/API driven/cloud ready
- Appealing design for social acceptance
The VPS 19 will be fully operational by the end of February 2019. The price for the hardware including the basic software package starts at $4,600 / €3,999.
The system is individually expandable. Open interfaces allow access to customer software or individually adapted software.